Sunday, October 30, 2011

Single Catholic


I look around and I am surrounded by couples. I love seeing my friends happy and in love. I love getting to know some of the wonderful guys they have chosen. That being said I am relationship challenged. I am kind of a shy person and I really relate better to women. I have not had many relationships. I am secretly terrified that I won't be able to find a guy that shares my beliefs. Not only that, but the pressure to have sex at my age (21) is ginormous. Then when you do meet a guy do you bring up religion on the first date? What about that sex thing? What are his expectations? Where am I even going to meet this guy? In my head I think I know what I want and need in a man, but really I have no clue. Maybe I just think about it too much and psych myself out. Anyway, I found this prayer and I thought I would share it. 


I do not know what to ask you.
You alone know my real needs,
and you love me more
than I even know how to love.
Enable me to discern my true needs
which are hidden from me.

I ask for neither cross nor consolation;
I wait in patience for you.

My heart is open to you. 
For your great mercy's sake,
come to me and help me.

Put your mark on me and heal me,
cast me down and raise me up.

Silently I adore your holy will
and your inscrutable ways.

I offer myself in sacrifice to you
and put all my trust in you.

I desire only to do your will.
Teach me how to pray
and pray in me, yourself.
--Vasily Drosdov Philaret, c. 1780 - 1867

No comments:

Post a Comment